Super easy and delicious holiday treat!

This is my go-to holiday treat ~ doesn't matter what holiday, I'll make this dessert because it's easy, only takes 4 ingredients, and can be modified depending on the holiday. And it's foolproof!

If you need to bring something to a party, or just want something special on your table, try this recipe.

Super Yummy Brownie Trifle Thing (this is the official name we've given it here at Etherton House. Feel free to use whatever name you like.)

Ingredients:

• Brownie mix ~ I use Ghiradelli Double Chocolate
  • Cool Whip ~ the largest container or two small
  • Mousse mix ~ I use milk chocolate, but feel free to experiment
  • English toffee ~ here's where you can have some fun! At Christmas I might add crushed candy canes, for Valentines maybe red hots, at Easter some marshmallows, it just depends on what you like. Oh, if you can't find English Toffee, just use a Heath Bar. No one will ever know.

Now that you have the ingredients, this is what you do:

Make the brownies according to package directions. Note* I like to undercook the brownies just a little bit. You want them moist and not crunchy. Let the brownies cool completely.

Make the mousse mix according to package directions.

Smash the toffee or other topping with a rolling pin or meat pounder. This part is really fun. Get the topping smashed up into little pieces, but not powdered mush.

Break up your cooled brownies and line half of the brownies in a glass trifle dish or bowl. Don't sweat it if you don't have the fancy trifle dish, any clear bowl or dish will work. You want people to be able to see your amazing mad baking skills!

Top your brownies with half of the mousse mixture.

Smooth half of the tub of Cool Whip over the mousse mixture.

Sprinkle on your toffee, candy canes, or whatever goody you are using.

Repeat! Brownie, mousse, Cool Whip.

Wait! Don't add another topping layer.

Over the Cool Whip you can either shave some chocolate (as in the picture above), or decorate with your toffee, make little hearts out of candy canes, whatever strikes your fancy.

Wasn't that easy? It's an elegant dessert that is super delicious!

Of course you'll need a beverage to sip while enjoying your brownie dessert. What could be more decadent than a cocktail made with Godiva Liqueur?

White Russian

• 1 oz Vodka
  • 0.5 oz Godiva Mocha Liqueur
  • 2 oz cream
  • 1 sprinkle nutmeg
  • ice
Add cream, Godiva Liqueur, and vodka to a shaker.
Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
Garnish with a dash of nutmeg.
In the mood for something creamy and decadent? Try Kate Wood's Cheesecake Presents. They are simple and delicious (and super easy to make). Pair those with Jillian Dodd's Gingerbread Martini and you're set. I love the holidays!
Do you have a favorite go-to dessert or dish you prepare for special occasions? What about special drink? How do you make the holidays more festive? Here at A Cup of Tea and Sorcery, we're always looking for new recipes. Share with us!

50 thoughts on “Super easy and delicious holiday treat!”

YUM! May I have some…please??? I keep ingredients for oatmeal cookies on hand…to which I often add chocolate chips or raisins. Adding cranberries and dark chocolate makes for tasty holiday treats. My favorite holiday drink is cinnamon spiced-anything! Coffee, tea, cocoa, egg nog… Thanks for the fun recipe, Tameri!

December 12, 2011

OMG! I think I just gained 5 pounds. YUM! I love, “if you can’t find English Toffee, just use a Heath Bar.” Speaking from experience? And a white Russian! Perfect ending to a perfect experience. Bravo Ms. Tameri.

3. Rebekah LoperRebekah Loper

I think I gained weight just be reading this post.

I. Think. I. Am. Inlove!
    WOW. This would be to die for….YUMMMMMY!!!!!

5. Nancy J NicholsonNancy J Nicholson

Yum! I really like the seat of your pants recipes, the recipes that let you be creative.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. timlobrientimlobrien

Now this sounds like something I might be able to make. My wife and kids would be indebted to me forever if I can pull this off. Thanks for sharing this!

7. Tiffany A WhiteTiffany A White

Yum….. I even have an identical glass bowl so the display will be pretty. 🙂 Thanks, Tameri! Merry Christmas!

8. Lena CorazonLena Corazon

Ohhhhhh yum. Yes, I think this is going on my go-to dessert for holiday potlucks. It looks absolutely delish, Tameri!

9. Gayle CarlineGayle Carline

HEY! HEY! HEY! Trying to eat healthy, here! Now I’m forced to look at yumminess to the nth!

10. Kate MacNicolKate MacNicol

Wow Tameri. I think I’m going to change my last name to Etherton. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

11. Amber WestAmber West

As much as I like to be little Miss Gourmet, sometimes simple is just what you need. I love how easy this is!

It should be pointed out that Costco (at least the one here) carries that Ghiradelli brownie mix, so it should totally be a pantry staple. 🙂

12. jennifer tannerjennifer tanner

Is there anything better than a humongous spoonful of Cool Whip when no one’s looking? You’ve just reminded me I need to go to the basement and dig out my trifle bowl. I’m going to try something different for dessert this year…berry trifle with lemon pound cake and lots of whipped cream.

13. Angela Orlowski-PeartAngela Orlowski-Peart

Goodness in a dish, ahhhhhhh! I can smell and taste it just by looking at the photo 🙂

14. MarciaMarcia

You just solved my problem, Tameri! I need a dessert that I can assemble when I get to my daughter’s on Christmas Eve. I have to travel a couple of hours and didn’t want anything to be ruined. this will be perfect since brownies travel well, the whipped topping wil go in its container, the mousse I can whip up when I get there! I love the candy canes added to it for Christmas. I’m doing my happy dance now! Thanks!

December 13, 2011
  15. Coleen PatrickColeen Patrick

I am sending this recipe to my sister–she is a brownie fiend, yes fiend.
    Thanks Tameri! Happy trifling 🙂

December 13, 2011
  16. garagesalefinderValeriegaragesalefinderValerie

You can buy Heath Bar bits already crumbled where you buy chocolate chips.

I’ve made this recipe (great minds think alike!)… it makes a LOT. Enough for a dozen people.

December 13, 2011
  17. Myndi Shafer...one stray sock away from insanity.Myndi Shafer...one stray sock away from insanity.

Hello, yum! Can’t wait to try this one!

And I can’t see a White Russian without thinking about the rug that tied the whole room together (please, please, please tell me you’re a fan of the Dude.)

December 13, 2011
  18. JulieJulie

OMG – YUM! And it sounds like even a non-very-talented baker such as myself could manage that one.

And I LOVE white russians!

December 13, 2011
  19. Naomi BulgerNaomi Bulger

Ayayay that sounds delicious, and totally achievable! Of course, my mind is going “I wonder if you could add a drop or two of liqueur into that”… I’ll let you know! 😉

December 13, 2011
  20. AnonymousAnonymous

Made it for a NYE dinner party and it ROCKED! Didn’t have a trifle bowl so picked one up at the dreaded walmart for $7. Thanks Tameri! Looked amazing and tasted fab, too.

• AnonymousAnonymous

This is Andrea R by the way 🙂

1. Friday FaBOOolousness – December’s MarvelOoous Holiday Mashup | Tiffany A White's Ooo Factor