Live Boldly ~ Use The Dang Stickers!

Princess Sheri & Princess Tameri Take Disneyland!

Once upon a time I fancied myself a scrapbooker. I bought all the appropriate supplies: Paper, Scissors, Fancy Cutting Thingies, Albums, Stickers, you name it. If it had to do with scrapbooking, I got it.

The only problem was, I didn't want to use my beautiful paper and stickers. Even the special stickers I bought for a specific event. It killed me to put them in an album that very few people would see.

Stupid, right?

So what does this have to do with living boldly and Sheri Fink? Or even Disneyland for that matter?

Well, a few weeks ago Sheri and I spent the day at Disneyland. When we weren't stalking princesses, we talked, and talked, and talked. About everything! It was a soul-nourishing day full of insights and inspiration.

One of the things Sheri happened to mention is that when she was a kid, she'd get these really cool books that had stickers in the front. She loved the stickers so much she never used them. I can totally relate to that, just look in my scrapbooking closet!

She turned to me (as we waited in line to meet Rapunzel) and said, “From now on, I'm going to use my stickers!”.

Right on, Sheri! Live boldly, she said. No more waiting for something fabulous to come around, but grab life by the shirttails and make your own fabulous. (I might have paraphrased a bit there). You get the idea.

Then last week she mailed me this cool plaque:

Live Boldly!

You know what? I'm going to use my special papers and fabulous stickers. Maybe I'll put them on my shopping list, or (don't quote me on this), I'll actually use them for scrapbooking! The important thing is, I'm not going to save them anymore. Life is too precious and every day is far to special to let it pass without some sparkle.

Go on, be a little crazy. Use your damn stickers!

What have you been hoarding? Stickers? Quarters? Have you ever ‘saved' something for a special occasion? Why not get that fine china out and use it for hamburgers?

Make today special. Be amazing.

** For those of you who don't know this, Sheri is a multi-published, award winning children's book author and one of the most amazing women I know. To visit Sheri's Whimsical World, click here.

9 thoughts on “Live Boldly ~ Use The Dang Stickers!”

1. Susie Lindau (@SusieLindau)Susie Lindau (@SusieLindau)

I am the same way. I have all kinds of unused gift certificates. One thing that BC has taught me, is to live large. I am going for a manicure with my daughter this morning!

September 10, 2013
  2. Jenny HansenJenny Hansen

You are amazing! And like, Susie, I tend to hoard gift cards “for a special occasion.” I need to follow your example and USE THEM. 🙂

September 10, 2013
  3. Sheri de GromSheri de Grom

Tameri – Great blog. It’s so easy to live in the routine and I’ve found it easier to do with caregiving for Tom and dealing with my own limitations. Honestly – I don’t like it. I’ve always wanted to be ‘out there’ doing what I wanted/when I wanted. I suppose that sounds somewhat selfish but I believe we only get to go this way once and I want to make the most of it. It’s time to put the sparkles back in my day to day life instead of just surviving during this tough hurdle. Thanks for a wonderful boost.

September 10, 2013
  4. Diana BeebeDiana Beebe

Dang! I thought I was following your new, beautiful blog, but I realized I wasn’t. That’s been fixed! 😉

Scrapbooking supplies (‘crapbooking crap, as my hubby calls it) is the bane of my existence. I should use them! Or, get rid of them and move to digital scrapbooks. That would give me a closet back.

I never wanted to use those cool stickers when I was a kid. I LOVED stickers–obviously, I still do. LOL

September 10, 2013
  5. Marcia RichardsMarcia Richards

I’m exactly the same way! I have drawers full of scrapbooking supplies that I haven’t looked at in ages. I also hate to use my stickers. I like to look at them but I really should use them on birthday cards and, yes, even grocery lists or maybe on my WIP outline to make it more fun! I also have a bunch of stationery, pens, and writing notebooks that I love having ready in case I ever decide to write on/with them. I could live in a stationery store or bookstore.

September 11, 2013
  6. Rebekah LoperRebekah Loper

I… have been hoarding fabric. Not TOO badly (you should see my husband’s grandmother’s stash!) since I’ve moved it three times and downsized with each one, but I have so many things in there that I know exactly what I want to make with them, but have yet had a chance. Or am too scared to cut into the fabric because it’s NICE or it’s something I haven’t worked with before, and I don’t want to ruin it accidentally.

Also, it’s a bit of a thing I’m working on overcoming in myself, but I have a very unique sense of style (there’s a reason I’ve always wanted to make my own clothes beyond just saving money/being able to make better quality items than you can buy), and it’s always caught people’s eyes when I dress how I *want* to, but I hate drawing attention to myself (especially physical attention – and I think some of it goes back to being a verbal/emotional abuse survivor), because I don’t know what to do with that attention.

So… I guess when it comes down to it, I hoard me? Sorry this comment turned much more introspective than I intended :P.

Otherwise… I sort of accidentally hoard blank journals? I’m never been much of one for journaling regularly, so it’s more like I forget to use them… and people keep giving them to me because they assume “Oh, she’s a writer, she must journal!” and so they just collect…

I do have a couple of really pretty ones that I’m scared to write in because I won’t do them justice, lol. But otherwise, I need to use them for notes or SOMETHING.

September 12, 2013
  7. Patricia SandsPatricia Sands

Too true, my friend! Plaster those stickers all over the place and make sure every moment is lived to the max! You are the perfect example!

September 21, 2013
  8. Lissa ClouserLissa Clouser

I love this and this is so true! I’m one of the world’s worst when it comes to keeping my ‘stickers’. I’m always afraid to use up the good stuff because then it will be gone, but if that’s the problem, why buy the ‘good stuff’ (whatever it may be) at all? Thanks for the great reminder today, because I’m slowly trying to become better at this!